Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Seminar


Seminar this morning.

It was good.

Here are observations.

1. Attention, adaptation and orienting response are intertwined - Adaptation is highly underrated.

2. Prof. X and Y have aged tremendously since I saw them present their model at CNS '98. Fast forward ten years, they are fine tuning the original '98 model. They do it very well. Sitting in seminar I realized that I do not want to be doing basic research in the twilight of life. The talk was disheartening on a personal level, but theoretically rich in the sciences.

3. While walking past the spectators on their way to the US Open, I realized that no one in the outside world cares about science. I could hear the cheers from a mile way accompanying each hole Tiger Woods sank. People did not cheer when Prof X's model predicted performance across differing luminance levels.

Sigh ....

No comments: