Thursday, January 24, 2008

End of Day 1 - A giant orifice in the house.

Figure 1

Figure 2

Figure 3

Figure 4

Figure 5

Figure 6

Figure 7

Figure 8

I came home to an empty kitchen and a giant vagina separating the living and dining room. Stephen and his merry crew erected a safe room using plastic sheeting. To get into the safe room, they installed a giant red zipper for an entry (Fig 1 & 8). Figure 2 is of the wifey stepping into the giant vagina - I suppose this could be read as something Freudian, but at this point I am at a loss for words. Figures 3-7 are what is left of the kitchen. If you look closely in figure 6, you can see a piece of flooring used to brace the drywall. I know for a fact that this was done by Chad, the contractor we used for the garage. Chad is quite a lazy resourceful fellow.

We met the original owner of the house who installed the green marble counter top. He went on and on how expensive the imported Italian marble was. During his monologue, my internal monologue was thinking that green marble reminds me of tombstones and other structures associated with the dead. When we told him our plans to renovate, he got upset and agitated. He took it as a personal insult that we were removing the counter top. I suppose he is right at some level - I think his aesthetics are questionable.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

So what are you going to do with the marble?

And are you guys getting one of those professional Viking gas-range stoves? The house I lived in first year had one of those and they are UNBELIEVABLE.

Single finger salute! said...

We are getting Dacor instead of Viking. The open gas range Vikings are really good but hard to clean (restaurant quality). The closed ones are easy to clean but have ignition problems (home quality).

I think it is going in the dumpster.