Saturday, March 15, 2008

Divorce #2

I received a terse e-mail from the architect -

W, this is not the first time you have said this, so lets not do it, just do the panels...without the back lights, S

In an earlier e-mail I voiced concerns about the lighting optics for the bookshelf design. I did not expect such a response. I imagine this is the end of our working relationship. My perception is that architects tend to be overly sensitive and that their designs are not open to discussion. Of course this is a gross over generalization but anyone want to debate this with me? I find the same sort of attitude in my line of work. People tend to be overly protective of their theories or models even in the face of conflicting data. On the other hand, I orphan all my papers and ideas. If someone wants to take shots at them, then by all means. Except know that I'll likely be refereeing your paper next time asshole.

Moving on, here are pictures of the installed cabinets. The cabinet construction was select vertical grain Doug Fir, Maple interior, full overlay slab, eased edge, no trim, Blume and Haefle hardware. I could lose myself for hours in the Haefle catalog. Imagine a telephone sized catalog of just hardware. The drawer inserts were all Haefle. Note the new storage space underneath the stairs. I intend to put our children in there when they act up. The best part of the storage space is the trap door to the crawlspace. I suppose our kids could imagine all sorts of unpleasant things coming up from underneath the trap door. These fears of course will be compounded since it will be pitch black during the time out.


This is the tread sample. In the end we went with an eased edge instead of the half round. Brazilian Cherry Wood will be applied on the leading edge of the tread, this is to minimize wear on the leading edge. I wanted a steel strip, the contractor and stair craftsman talked me out of the steel detail, they said it would be uncomfortable for bare and socked feet.

PS. To all my neighbors who doubted our design, renovations and my abilities to manage - You can go FUCK YOURSELVES.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Who knew our family carried a "project manager" gene?